Friday, January 24, 2014

Making your own copper beads....

MaryAnn Carroll "Nonnie"
Recently on impulse, while in my studio, I decided I would try to make some copper beads. I had absolutely no clue what I was doing. It was more about experimenting and teaching myself something I had been curious about.

This is how they turned out.


I tried a few different methods, the first being using enamel to hold them together. After 1/2 hour or so I finally got one to hold together. I am not sure I would use this in any jewelry I am selling since I am not sure the enamel will be strong enough to keep it together if bumped.

Then I used my copper solder and heated them. Some worked out better than others. The seams are pretty obvious and they have yet to be tumbled. I did clean two by hand and applied a patina that I purchased from Shannon LeVart of MissFickleMedia. Those still need to be sealed with a product that I also purchased from Shannon.


So, after playing around, I then decided that there might be a tutorial. Yes, that is me, I typically put together the product and THEN take out the directions when it isn't quite working out!

I found a tutorial on volcanoarts.com. I was on the right track in the beginning, but could have made things work out a little better with sanding, so they would fit together flush and I should have used mesh and a tripod when I torched.

These are the first two pictures from that tutorial.


So, my goal is to go back to this tutorial and try again. I might adjust a couple of things to make it work for me. If you are interested in seeing the rest of this very simple lentil bead tutorial,

click HERE.  

As always, thank-you for supporting artists who create handmade with handmade,

MaryAnn


 

No comments:

Post a Comment